Search Results | Clear Search | Previous (in doc) | Next (in doc) | Prev Doc | Next Doc
This Act is current to June 18, 2024
See the Tables of Legislative Changes for this Act’s legislative history, including any changes not in force.

Insurance for Crops Act

[RSBC 1996] CHAPTER 229

1Agreements with Canada
2Audit of corporation
4Power to make regulations

Agreements with Canada

1   The minister, for the government, may enter into an agreement with Canada on crop insurance in British Columbia.

Audit of corporation

2   Unless the Auditor General is appointed in accordance with the Auditor General Act as the auditor of a corporation established under this Act, the Lieutenant Governor in Council must appoint an auditor to audit the accounts of the corporation at least once each year.


3   The government may pay any money the government becomes liable to pay in carrying out the terms of an agreement entered into under a scheme of crop insurance established under section 4 (2) (a) of this Act, including any expenses incurred in carrying out the terms of the agreement, out of the consolidated revenue fund unless money is available for that payment

(a) in the Production Insurance Account established under section 9.2 of the Special Accounts Appropriation and Control Act, or

(b) under a special vote of the Legislature.

Power to make regulations

4   (1) The Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations referred to in section 41 of the Interpretation Act.

(2) Without limiting subsection (1), the Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations to:

(a) establish and administer a scheme of crop insurance in British Columbia;

(b) establish a corporation to manage a scheme, provide staff, and provide the corporation's powers and duties, including the making of contracts;

(c) establish a crop insurance fund and regulate its investment and use;

(d) provide for the recovery of unpaid insurance premiums.

(3) If a corporation is not established under subsection (2) (b), the minister or a person authorized by the minister may administer the scheme.